Monday, October 18, 2004

Quoth the Kinkster

As heard on Imus this morning while I drove to a meeting out in Gloucester:

"When you die, your last check should bounce"

I am such a huge admirer of Kinky's...

Also up: the Sox live another day. I'm glad we at least avoided the sweep. I didn't watch most of last night's game, and I'll miss most of this afternoon's as well - I have two proposals to write, and I desperately need a nap soon as well - not a lot of sleep the last couple of days. David's been restless the last few nights, and I had to get up early (5 AM!) yesterday for the final MIT Flea of the season. Sold pretty much all the major stuff I brought, though.

I don't listen every day, but Al Franken's radio show has improved a lot since he first went on the air this past spring.

The Pats have become to football what the Yankees are to baseball. Professionals who sublimate their egos into the larger goal and the team as a whole. Though I hate the Yankees, you have to admire the way they run the organization - and they take guys who were considered cancers on other teams (cough-Gary Sheffield-cough) and turn them into valuable teammates who do and say all the right things. Joe Torre can't get enough credit for handling them the right way, and every player should wish they could be Derek Jeter, even for a minute.

Up here, we have the Pats filling a similar role. But the Yankees have the bottomless pocketbook that keeps them on top year after year, while the Patriots have to contend with the salary cap and the NFL's deliberate goal of parity. Which makes their sustained excellence over the last three and-a-half years all the more amazing. To have held an NFL team at and near the top for this long is an impressive feat - even in 2002 when they missed the playoffs, they still had a winning record and missed out on defending their title through a tiebreaker.

No comments: