Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Wrasslin' comments

Last night I watched this week's Raw, courtesy of TiVo. Overall, not a great show, though I took two things away from it:

Trish Stratus is a darned good athlete and wrestler. She's a terrific heel - good enough that I don't want to see her turn face again anytime soon. On the other hand, though, there's one thing that's a little disconcerting to me about her - her voice always seems just a little bit too nervous and quavering for my liking. I suspect it's got to do with her Canadian accent, but something about it puts me off, as good as she otherwise is.

And Hogan just plain rules. He's got to be one of the worst wrestlers you will ever see as far as his skills go - and since his hip replacement last year his already limited movement is all but gone. But there's something about Hogan - his presence, his look, his charisma, whatever - that makes you just momentarily suspend all your disbelief and, just for a moment, think "hey - this stuff is real". Maybe it's just nostalgia, and if he was on every week as a regular I'd get sick of him quickly, but when he's used like they're using him right now, Hulk Hogan is a blast to watch.

No comments: