Monday, July 12, 2004

Welcome Back!

it's said that under the right circumstances, driver and car meld into a perfect union of man and machine. I drive a minivan. What does that say about me?

It's always nice to walk into a dark office after a week and find checks waiting for you. Not to mention, we had a check from the mortgage company we were going to use last year when we had planned to buy a house waiting when we got home from vacation. It was the refund of our application fee - we'd forgotten about that under the assumption it wasn't refundable. Nice.

In other news, when I arrived this morning my Internet service was down. It came back up around 10:25 or so. I'm pretty happy overall with my ISP at the office, but that's a reason I continue to resist pleas to move my voice service over to be IP based. Maybe if I had multiple offices and controlled the infrastructure myself, but as long as I have to trust ISP equipment VOIP has no interest for me.

When it comes to overall reliability, the ILEC networks always will win. Cable companies are second (and probably adequate in reliability for residential VOIP, so long as you have an emergency backup), cell phone companies third, and most ISPs a distant fourth.

It's only Monday, but this week is shaping up to be a busy one. Not to mention I need a vacation from my vacation.

I think next week will be a good week to pay myself. We'll go out to dinner that day to celebrate. But it'll be a cheap dinner.

No comments: