Monday, July 26, 2004

Other minor NASCAR notes

- In keeping David safe and secure, I managed to get a minor sunburn right above my right knee and on the back of my neck. Now I know, in a small way, how Dale Jr. felt after his Corvette wreck last weekend.

- Never having watched a race from the start before, it was mildly surprising that they started the event with a brief prayer before the National Anthem. I thought it might turn out to be a fairly generic prayer, but the Catholic priest they invited to present it explicitly mentioned Jesus, which i did not expect - I figured when they started it that they'd have something that would be more ecumenical - figuring there might be members of non-Christian religions present.

Then I remembered NASCAR's southern Protestant roots, and I was more surprised that they actually let a Catholic lead the prayer.

- During the Anthem, they had a perfectly timed flyover of a KC-135 tanker and a pair of A-10 Warthogs. I'm told that they usually get fighter planes to do the flyover, but I'm guessing all the F-16s are busy circling Boston this week.

- The walk to and from the car yesterday was good exercise. Especially because I was pushing David's stroller over some very difficult terrain. At one point during the trek back to the car, I carried the stroller with him in it for about 50 yards over some gravel that I couldn't push him through.

No comments: