Friday, July 09, 2004

Waystation

We headed out from Cape May after a pancake breakfast at Dock Mike's this morning, and drove to visit our friends the Simonsons in Marmora (about 25 miles north). We had a nice interval with them, and a pizza lunch, followed by a ride in their boat around the Egg Harbor area. Hitting the road from there around 2, we had a fast drive up until hitting major traffic on the upper reaches of the Garden State Parkway (do they have a tollbooth every 37.4 feet or is it my imagination?) and then cruised the rest of the way to my family in Westport in OK time. David ate a huge amount of fruit during the drive - a bag of strawberries, a plum, and an apple, along with a big bowl of chopped-up watermelon at lunch, and responded by having soaked shorts and a car seat to match by the time we got to Connecticut. It was bad enough that I had to wash the car seat cover - an adventure, because I'd never done it before and had no instructions.

There was about a years' supply of food buried in the depths of the car seat. I should probably clean it more often, huh?

All went well, though. We had a nice dinner, and then David went running around my folks' house chasing fireflies. He's kinda obsessed with them lately. We put him down for bed around 10-ish, and there was some reluctance on his part. But he'll have to suck it up. We've gotten tired of sharing a room with the little guy, as much as we love him.

The agenda for the rest of the weekend is relaxed. Tomorrow will be spent doing family things, and Sunday morning we'll take off and visit friends in Orange for a few hours before completing the grand circle of our trip.

I think I'll go to bed early Sunday before resuming my life Monday morning and playing catch-up. I expect to spend at least one day (probably Tuesday) at the diminished Boston Macworld Expo - Apple may have dropped out in a fit of spite, but I'll attend anyways. It's good to have some Mac show back where it belongs in Boston, but given my situation I would have trekked to NYC if it was the only option. I haven't been to an Expo since 2000, though, so this'll be fun regardless.

No comments: