Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Ironic DSL story

For those of you who followed DSLquest, I am still hooked up after several days. But there was an amusing and ironic moment yesterday. In mid-afternoon, we lost our DSL service.

We also lost phone service entirely.

My wife called me on her cell to report the problem - I verified it, noticed the network was also down, and called Verizon to report the outage. They verified it, too, and dispatched repair - the phone line was fixed about an hour later, with the DSL back up.

I don't know if the problem was on the pole, or a loose connection at the NID, or elsewhere - I just know it was before the DSL splitter on the side of my house. Jane didn't see a Verizon truck anywhere nearby, but she wasn't really paying attention.

We now have DSL (and phone) service again. Given my track record, I probably shouldn't say this, but in the words of James Lovell (as played by Tom Hanks), "Looks like we just had our glitch for this mission."

No comments: