Tuesday, July 13, 2004

So here I am...

I'm sitting in the back of the room at the Macworld Expo. Admittedly, I was expecting to hear crickets chirping, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

First impressions: The new Boston Convention Center is big. I mean, really big. Able to host huge conventions big. At 20k feet, Macworld is literally swallowed whole by the center. That bodes well for possible future events, but it may be that the days of the mega trade show passed just before the center was built.

Also, the wireless access is excellent and ubiquitous. Cell phone reception is also terrific, unlike how it was when i used to go to Atlanta for Interop. As for a further note on size - I'd say the DNC could have easily fit in here with room to spare, which would have meant they wouldn't have needed to close down Boston in two weeks.

As to Macworld - this is more of a sellers' show as far as the floor goes. I've seen a few familiar faces, but mainly it's vendors with stuff for sale. The problem is, it's all really good cool stuff they're selling. And I wish I could buy it all. So I'm a little bumming on that account. Realistically, there are a couple of inexpensive things I may consider while I'm here - as far as I'm concerned I'm giving myself a personal budget of $50 for stuff and an office budget of $100. I made a couple of useful reseller-related contacts here so far as well, one of which was an old contact that could be able to refer me some business.

I still haven't really seen everything yet, despite the small size. I got here at noon, and I'm trying to devote quality time to everything.

That and I have to kill time until the BNUG meeting tonight, which there's no point to arriving at until at least 6PM. So I may as well be thorough here.

No comments: