Monday, July 14, 2003

Just thinking

There is an anti-SUV movement out there whose slogan is "What would Jesus drive?". Now, I'm the last person who can be accused of being intimate with religious values, but I was thinking of the logistics, Jesus' professed values, and what I'm sure would be his desire to minimally impact the environment, combined with the harsh realities of travel in the Middle East. I've come to the following conclusion.

I believe Jesus would have two cars. For the occasional solo trip, he'd have the most efficient car possible that would be able to handle the road conditions. Probably a Subaru Forester. He'd prefer a Toyota Prius, but it's just not a practical choice in a world without paved roads.

But I think Jesus would spend the bulk of his time in a Chevy Suburban. If Ford weren't phasing it out, he might even consider an Excursion. Why? Because they can go nearly anywhere, and most of the Apostles would fit comfortably inside. The fewer cars make the trip, the more efficient overall your trip is. And they often traveled in a group. This one is a no-brainer. They'd get a 15-passenger van, but it wouldn't stand up to the off-road conditions.

The big question is, would Jesus get either air conditioning or leather seats? I think he'd go for the A/C, but stick to cloth seats.

No comments: