Saturday, August 19, 2006

What Mac would you buy right now?

Not for nothing, but if I were in the market for a Mac, I would buy a Mac Pro without hesitation (if I ran a lot of stuff in Rosetta, I might even spring for the $800 processor upgrade), I'd buy a MacBook if I needed a low-end portable, and if I needed an entry-level desktop I'd buy any Mac mini above the bottom one (the Core Solo chip is mediocre). And I can't speak for Apple, but I think I might be inclined to wait a few weeks to buy either an iMac or a MacBook Pro... Intel's Conroe (64-bit Core2 Duo) is shipping now, and pretty much any good "Yonah"-based (the original Core Duo) computer will upgrade to Core2 Duo by around Labor Day.

Coincidentally, Yonah is in all the Intel Macs (except for Mac Pro) so far...

I have no inside info, but this is kind of a no-brainer. The Mac updates next month will offer slightly more performance (both in raw clock speed and in performance per watt), and 64-bit computing. I'd wait if I were you.

No comments: