Monday, March 07, 2005

Latest and Greatest

We were supposed to travel to CT and visit my folks this past weekend, but I decided (reluctantly) that David needed the weekend at home to decompress from his stressful transition week. I think it was a good move. He slept a lot, and was pretty much back to his old self by Sunday afternoon. He and Jane are having a nice day at home today.

Meanwhile, in the nearly 18 years that Jane and I have been together, there was one thing we had never done as a couple, despite my nearly constant desire to do so:

(Get your minds out of the gutter, you sickos!)

That was making fish for dinner. Jane has had something of an aversion to "fish" pretty much all her life (she eats most shellfish), while I absolutely love virtually all seafood (with the minor exceptions of oysters, octopus, and eel). So for years I've been suggesting that we should eat fish once in a while, and she's been against the idea. Well, she finally had fish when we went out for dinner a few weeks ago, and she thought it was OK. Then we had a Whole Foods Market open up over in Swampscott a couple of weeks ago, and they have a really good fish section.

So yesterday, I got her to pick up some haddock filets when she was out doing errands in the afternoon, and I broiled it with a little olive oil, ground pepper, and kosher salt, serving it all over some saffron-infused rice. Yum. David pretty much demolished his, too, and Jane liked it a lot. I think we can start eating fish more regularly, and that can't be a bad thing.

No comments: