Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Iraq redux

I've posted my feelings about Dubya's little military adventure before (as you may be able to tell from the tone, I disapprove of it). I think we were idiots to go in there, I think there was no valid reason to do so, and I think we're going about the reconstruction all wrong.

That said, we can't afford to throw out the tiny bit of international credibility we still have by pulling out altogether. But we can't afford to screw it up, either.

Iraq wasn't a terrorist haven before. Now it is. Thanks to us. And these terrorists have determined that the best way to get us out is to kidnap random foreigners (preferably Americans), cut their heads off on-camera, and post the videos on their website.

Well, I have a strong reaction to that, like they're hoping. But my reaction isn't the one they're hoping for. I'm still of the opinion that we should fix this as best we can, and get out as soon as is realistically feasible. But before we can, we need to kill every one of the terrorists (or "insurgents") in Iraq, mutilate their corpses, and leave their remains out in the desert for pigs to feed on. Every single one of them.

Then, we can leave what's left of Iraq to whoever's left of the Iraqis, and get the hell out.

Thanks for nothing, Dubya. I hope every one of those videotapes leaves you waking up screaming in the middle of the night. But I don't think you have the depth for it.

No comments: