Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Whatever

As I mentioned earlier this month, the current Republican Christmas War is ludicrous. Period. Speaking from my perch as a total non-believer (I'm ecumenical - I believe all religions are equally wrong), I'm not in the slightest bit disturbed by being wished a merry Christmas (heck, I even usually spell the whole thing out instead of saying Xmas). Christmas doesn't bother me, I'm not threatened by it, and I couldn't care less if it's observed. We have a 3 1/2 year-old in this house - to us, Christmas is about Santa and how cool it is when a toddler magically gets presents that morning. I'm very excited about tomorrow.

But I know a lot of people out there don't like having Christian holidays thrust in their faces. Since the far-right lunatics are blowing smoke out their asses when they declare that we live in a fundamentally Christian nation (the Founding Fathers were, almost to a man, Deists, and deliberately erected the First Amendment as a wall along with not mentioning the word God anywhere in the Constitution), many people and businesses choose to be non-specific at holiday time. And that's fine.

I'm utterly convinced that Jesus had no divinity to him (I do believe he existed as a historical person). But I've read pretty much all the same stuff that the believers did, and were he around today he'd be deeply embarrassed by what these jackasses do in his name.

So have a happy holiday season, enjoy the moment, and try and do good towards your fellow man for a change.

No comments: