Monday, August 16, 2004

Notes

I'm gonna miss Phish. I've got several of their albums, and I never saw them live - the scene was too hippy for me. But I can download high-quality copies of their live performances at LivePhish, and the profits go to charity. Cool.

Jim McGreevey is a putz. Not for coming out - I applaud him for that. But for putting his boyfriend into a $110k per year job to shut him up? Unforgivable. That said, I like his maneuver to make sure the governorship stays in his party's hands (just from a perspective of admiring sneaky hardball political tricks), but look for him to amscray by mid-September.

I set up the VPN for my customer today, and enabled OWA for them. I think I've secured their website sufficiently, by judicious use of IP deny lists.

I can set up a WiFi hotspot in any place of business for under $500 (including my fees), and with an ongoing cost of under $100 per month. Easy (I met with a customer this morning who I'll be doing that for), and free for customers. With those economics, why should anyone try to sell hotspot access for money? Internet access in public places is becoming almost like oxygen - essential to life and omnipresent.

I solved a major area of frustration here at the office this weekend. When I opened up, to save some money, I recycled a cordless phone I had in the house. But it only handled one line, so when I got a call on line 2 I'd have to dash to my desk from wherever else I'd be and pick up. Well, I had a couple of Staples savings certificates (a $15 rewards check and a $20 coupon), so I picked up a 2-line cordless phone cheap.

David was in a real good mood when I left this morning. He even accepted that I was going to work without a temper fit. I hope it persists...

No comments: