Wednesday, March 31, 2004

And a pony, too!

In case anyone didn't pick up on it, I don't really have an overwhelming desire for all the things on my birthday list. Sure, they'd all be cool to have, but that doesn't mean I'm actually staying up nights hoping for them. Honest.

On the other hand, if I get any of those things (or the pony!) from anyone, I sure as heck won't send them back. Because they are cool. I'm hoping gamma (that's Grandma) snags the iSight even though I don't really have a use for it, because they can have fun with their grandkid using it to babble with him. And I'd get enjoyment from watching the spectacle. But I don't even need that, really.

You see, I don't really pay significant attention to any holidays, including the traditional gift-giving holidays. I don't really pay much attention to my birthday, either. It's just fun to ask for goofy stuff every now and then, and my birthday is a good excuse.

I guess I'd have to send the pony back, now that I think about it. We just don't have the room. Unless maybe it was one of those midget seeing-eye-type ponies. But that'd be a little too weird, no to mention that you can't really litter-train a pony as far as I know.

Unfortunately, you can't litter-train a toddler, either. If you could, we would have done it by now!

Technical discovery of the day: My friend Mark told me about the Ultimate Boot CD yesterday. I checked it out, and downloaded it when I got home from the BNUG meeting. It's a periodically updated ISO image that has every conceivable free diagnostics, repair, and antivirus tool on it ready-to-use. A must-have in every sysadmin's toolkit, even when the acceptable fix is just to re-CASSI a machine (hint, hint). As far as I can tell, it works on any CD-bootable x86 machine.

No comments: