Monday, October 17, 2005

Minor drawbacks

I've seen some more info on the new iMac models - there are two drawbacks to the design as far as I can see. Not issues for the average consumer, but some folks will be bumming.

1 - The display stand can no longer be removed and replaced with a VESA wall mount.

2 - Most of the iMac's insides are no longer designed to be user-serviceable. There's only one memory slot, though there is 512MB built-in (I'm not sure if it's soldered on or if it's just a hidden DIMM slot inside). However, I don't think it has an effect on the G5's ability to run a wide memory pipeline because the new iMac uses DDR2 memory instead of regular PC3200.

Side note: I think Apple's using a new chipset on this iMac (I haven't seen the developer note yet, but since it supports both DDR2 and PCI Express, that is almost certainly the case). If so, that means this Wednesday's Apple announcement will all but definitely feature a new G5 tower with the same capabilities. I'm also expecting the PowerBook upgrades to be announced either this week or right afterwards. Mac OS X 10.4.3 should also be released shortly as well.

No comments: