Thursday, August 21, 2003

Some early promise

Yes, it's late, but I've been working on a project for the city (I'm leading an effort to modernize the city's IT infrastructure), and I've been sufficiently busy that I only have time this late in the evening.

That, and we watched "Shallow Hal" after we put the boy to bed around 9:30. It was a funny trifle of a film.

I did some work on the project earlier today, too - but I was also tugged to do a lot of prep for our upcoming yard sale this Saturday. We're trying to clean out all the junk we didn't get rid of the first time back in June.

Yard sales are interesting. Our original motivation in having one back in June was to get rid of stuff we didn't want to move to the new house with us. Now we're just trying to get rid of stuff, period. Hopefully, though, this will be the last one. They're tiring.

I've turned up a few interesting job leads thus far in the search, including one I came across Monday that looks like it actually might be a pretty appropriate fit. We'll see if the employer agrees, of course. One problem I see already is that there are still a decent amount of jobs out there to be had, but the competition is stiffer than it used to be. I know some good people that are out of work right now as well. Some of them for a while.

I'm still quite optimistic overall, though. I've seen more leads to date than I expected to, even if I wash up against the companies' HR filters. I even saw a few that weren't for me, but were well-suited to people I knew. I forwarded those along to the right places. The Internet has made searching easier, but only a nice suit, a solid resume, and good interview skills will get you the job.

As opposed to the go-go days, when all you had to do is breathe. Hopefully I'll nail something down within a month or two, which'll let me keep some of my severance in the bank.

No comments: