Thursday, July 10, 2008

This just in...

If you are looking for a laptop (or any other piece of expensive electronic hardware), please don't look to get it from a foreigner on Craigslist!  Every day, I see alert messages on my mailing lists that "Amy from Manchester UK" (substitute name and European city du jour) is selling a MacBook Pro (substitute other Mac or Dell or whatever du jour) and is obviously a scammer, based on some research the intrepid poster has done.

Duh!  They're all scammers!  Craigslist is a wonderful thing, but has rapidly become the scammer's medium of choice.  I won't use it for the same reason I won't eBay - it's just not worth it to me.  I don't feel like trying to judge character to save a few extra dollars.  I've only sold a couple of things via eBay, and those times I had my friend Rob (an eBay nut) sell 'em for me - and the last time we did so we dealt with a jerk in CA who was trying to rip off my old iPod.  Screw that.

If you're looking for a used sofa within driving distance, Craigslist is awesome.  If you want a laptop, go to the vendor directly.  If you want to save a few dollars, there's a web store called Amazon that I hear is pretty good.