Wednesday, May 08, 2002

MacOS 10.2 lust

I, like every other Machead, read the coverage of the WWDC preview of Jaguar, AKA MacOS X 10.2. I'm drooling. My main computer IRL today is a TiBook 667 that I picked up last fall, and it should handle all the new stuff quite nicely (though it doesn't have enough VRAM to be ideal with the new OpenGL accelerated Quartz rendering, 16MB VRAM is still enough to be pretty quick). I really like the new version of Sherlock (it may finally be useful), and all the features for Windows interoperability. As much as Active Directory may be brutal, it's nice that Macs will be able to play nice.

Not to mention that the Finder is finally multi-threaded. About time - that, more than anything else right now, is making MacOS X look slow.

Of course, it'll run great on my G4-based TiBook, but my wife has an old iMac DV 450 - looks like I might finally have a reason to replace it...

Now, if only the rest of the world would drink the Cupertino Kool-Aid with me.

No comments: