Thursday, January 27, 2005

Word to prospective Mac mini buyers

Feel free to install your own memory after the fact - or pay me to do it for you. Based on what I know, I can do it in about 15 minutes or so, tops.

Meanwhile, you can get a 1 GB upgrade from Crucial for about $230 with free shipping. Even with what I'd charge you to install it, you're still coming out ahead.

However, if 512MB is enough for you, have Apple do it BTO with the system. Apple charges $75 to provide you with 512MB as a BTO option - that memory module costs about $80 here in the outside world, plus I'd change to install it. So for 512MB, Apple gives you the best deal.

And whatever you do, DO NOT buy the mini with just the standard 256MB. MacOS X is a dog with 256MB RAM, but flies with 512. And I have 1GB in my PowerBook - which really makes a huge impact. Remember, MacOS X is Unix, and Unix will do nice things for you when given memory to play with.

Apple shouldn't sell anything with less than 512MB if they care about making good first impressions.

No comments: