Sunday, July 18, 2004

Moan

Apple is announcing new iPods tomorrow - word accidentally got out a couple of days early thanks to a leaked Newsweek cover. The specs are as follows:

Sizes - 20GB for $299, 40Gb for $399, nothing bigger (yet - 60GB should be announced soon)
Looks - no more separate buttons, these have clickable scroll wheels just like the iPod Minis do.
Profile - a couple of MM thinner than the previous generation.
Battery life - up to 50% better through better power management.

I want one. Won't somebody buy me one of these so I can give my old one to Jane? To be a little bit serious, I bought my second-generation model back in the fall of 2002 for $299. It was thicker and only holds 10GB. So now today you can buy a smaller unit with twice the capacity for the same price after only 20 months. Pretty good, I'd say.

I guess I'll pass on these, despite the temptation (but if I have a few good months in a row, watch out!). If/when the Mini has a 20GB drive available, though, I'm all over that.

No comments: