Thursday, July 22, 2004

I give up

I've fought the forces of stupidity long enough. As of today, I surrender.

I went to Dunkin' Donuts for a tradesman's breakfast - the medium coffee/2 donuts special (no, I don't do that very often - we're just out of good breakfast stuff at home). Price: $2.59. With tax, it came out to $2.72. So I hand over two singles, three quarters, and two pennies. I figured I'd get a nickel back, which takes up less space than the pennies.

I got my change back. It was 13¢.

Yesterday, I was buying some potato chips for a dinner accompaniment (we had hot dogs - you gotta have chips with hot dogs). I paid in such a way that I expected to get 50¢ back - I got an extra nickel.

I surrender. I'm apparently the only person left who can do basic math in a retail environment. I'll either give exact change or even bills from now on.

But when I get change, I'm sure as hell counting it.

No comments: