Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The ever-lasting battle

After we moved David into the Big Boy Bed a couple of months ago, we started to have trouble with him escaping. So I put a doorknob cover on his door. He defeated it quickly, so I finally was able to foil him using packing tape to hold it on. This was all chronicled a ways back.

Anyhow, he's still been trying to get out. Sunday evening, we were playing in his room with the door closed. I went to open it, and I noticed he was watching me very intently. I thought nothing of it.

Monday morning, right around 8, Jane and I were both getting ready to get out of bed (I usually get up earlier, but I had two sales appointments in Marblehead beginning at 10, and I saw no point in getting up sooner to go to the office when I'd just have to turn around and go out again). We heard David wake up and begin rattling on his door. So I was about to go get him.

But the next sound we heard was that of David padding down the hall and into our room. He seemed rather pleased with himself.

At nap time, he simply refused to sleep. When put in bed, he would simply get up and leave the room, despite his exhaustion.

So on my way home, I finally beat him. I bought a simple hook and eye fastener for the door, and screwed it into his door from the outside as soon as I got in. Jane then brought him up (he'd passed out on the living room floor), and put him to bed once and for all.

It worked last night, too. He should be able to defeat it eventually, though.

When he's about 18.

No comments: